2010-03-19

The Dream

When Sonia Deotto asked me to co-direct A-HOPE Orchestra, I did not say "Yes" right away. I felt as if a tidal wave were beginning to form right then and there, in the middle of the living-room where we were sitting, in a beautiful old house in the Colonia Roma. The feeling kept me quiet.
I asked for time. I felt overwhelmed. I needed a sign.
On the dawn of the next day, the sign arrived in the form of a dream.
In this dream, I saw myself in the middle of a very green and humid landscape with many other people. We were all travelling together and had lost our way. Everyone was trying to figure out how to get to the next point we were supposed to reach in our journey.
I saw people walking and talking, looking for clues in the landscape.
I felt confused. I searched myself, my hands, my body, knowing that I was supposed to hold a map or a set of directions of some kind... I found nothing.
Suddenly, a person appeared on my right. I did not see this person clearly, except for the hand that he or she extended toward me, holding a piece of paper folded in half.
I took the paper and opened it. I expected to see a map on it, but there was a song instead.
At first, I did not understand.
I stared at the lyrics, and even though they were written in a language I could not comprehend, I somehow knew them. I knew the whole song. I started singing it under my breath.
Then, I understood: the song was better than a regular map. The song would simply get us to our destination. All we needed to do, was sing it. I called to the others. "I know what we have to do", I said, "we have to sing this song!". The people started gathering and we all prepared to learn the song and sing it, in order to arrive to our destination.

No comments: