2010-08-29

Fear / Miedo

From what I have seen, not many people like to talk about fear. Not many people like to be near someone who is afraid, even!
I guess that most of us wish to feel strong and certain in our lives. Most of us are looking for ways not to feel afraid. But the truth is we are all afraid at times. How could we not be? Being alive and human in this world includes the experience of fear.
In the past couple of days, I have been feeling afraid about my trip to India... My fears take on many different faces. Some of these faces seem to me more reasonable than others, but they are all difficult to confront, because recognizing their existence inside me makes me feel weak. However, not recognizing my fears makes me feel even weaker.
I find that it takes sincerity and strength for me to say: I am afraid to leave my home.

Por lo que he visto, no es mucha la gente que quiere hablar del miedo. ¡Ni siquiera es mucha la gente que puede estar cerca de alguien que siente miedo!
Supongo que la mayoría de nosotros queremos sentirnos fuertes y seguros en nuestras vidas. La mayoría de nosotros estamos buscando formas de no sentir miedo. No obstante, la realidad es que todos sentimos miedo, a veces. ¿Cómo no íbamos a sentirlo? Estar vivos y ser humanos en este mundo incluye tener la experiencia del miedo.
Durante el último par de días, he estado sintiendo miedo acerca de mi viaje a la India... Mis temores toman muchos rostros diferentes. Algunos de estos rostros me parecen más razonables que otros, pero todos resultan difíciles de confrontar, porque reconocer su existencia dentro de mí me hace sentir débil. Sin embargo, el no reconocer mis miedos me hace sentir más débil todavía.
Encuentro que se necesito sinceridad y fuerza para decir: Tengo miedo de dejar mi hogar.

No comments: